Thursday, February 2, 2012

Shopping healthy, on a budget

Now we all have a food budget or a desired amount that we wish to spend on a weekly basis. I am still learning how to do this without really being a coupon cutter. Now my problem, and most of you will agree is that when I open up the coupons in the newspaper or mail ads, I don't eat anything listed. Ok so this is what I have learned.

First of all, main stream grocery stores such as Dan's and Smiths have really reved up their Organic and Natural food sections. Eating healthy is more widely available then ever before. But BE CAREFUL, just because it says All Natural does not really mean anything. You still need to READ INGREDIENTS!

Simply put, Whole Foods is more pricey, but I am willing to pay a premium to ensure that I am getting the most for my money. However, Whole Foods is not perfect. I still read labels because a lot of products still contain a lot of sugar. We want to avoid that remember? Just because it comes from Whole Foods does not mean it is perfect food.

We will need to stick to the "if you can shake it, don't eat it mentality", however, you are "safer" purchasing it from a health food store.

What I do:
Whole foods has a coupon book in the entrance to the store and a newsletter full of recipes. I take them both, pull my cart to the side, pull out notepad on my phone and do my meal planning right there in the store. I plan meals around which fish and meat are on sale and what fruit and veggies are on sale. It takes about 10 minutes and I know I have saved money. I am not saving $100's like coupon queens but it is what I have found works best for us and the way that we desire to eat.


No comments:

Post a Comment