Thursday, February 2, 2012

Let's Evaluate...shall we?

Let's evaluate: What are your main ingredients for your meals? Are they in a box or are they fresh? Let's take everything out of our pantries that you can shake in a box. Now, ideally you remove EVERYTHING that you can shake. However, I am here to tell you that I am not an elitist, I am not perfect and I have learned to give myself a break. I am a busy, tired mommy and sometimes a quick fix is what I need but even if I cut down on those quick fixes to only once or twice a month I am still doing a WORLD of good for the future health of my family.

So open your pantry- how many boxes do you have lined up? How many cans? Jars? Ok- now open your refrigerator. How many fresh veggies do you have in the drawers? How many packages of FRESH meat?

Let's try something new: Let's try to make one meal from scratch a week. Just one. Here is an example of a quick recipe that is a family favorite. It is quick yet FULL of fresh veggies. Get out your cutting board moms! CHOP CHOP CHOP

Classic Butternut Squash Soup
2 Tablespoos Olive Oil
2/3 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced red pepper ( for a kick)
2/3 cup diced onion
4 cups cubed butternut squash (about 1 medium squash)
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or rosemary
4-6 cups organic chicken broth
sea salt and ground black pepper to taste

Heat olive il in a large soup pot. Add carrot, pepper, and onion. Cook until veggies have begun to soften and onion turns translucent, 3-4 minutes. Add butternut squash and thyme. Stir to combine with veggies. Stir in chicken broth and season with salt and pepper.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until squash is fork-tender, about 30 minutes. Use an immersion blender to puree soup. Alternatively, let the soup cool slightly. Serve with Almond Bread

Nothing here comes from a box.

No comments:

Post a Comment